Thursday, January 27, 2011

Portobellos Wrapped in Goodness

What's that? Wrapped in goodness?? Oh yes, yes that's right.


So, I was browsing through my cookbook in a section that I don't normally browse in. "Beans, Rice, & Grains". Which I usually tend to avoid because it just seems boorrrinng. However, this picture caught my eye.


Courtesy of the amazing Better Homes & Gardens
Which can also be found here, with a nice printable recipe too. Because good things do happen sometimes.


And hooo-boy does that look amazing. So, I decided to try it! Aren't you excited?


Portobello Wrap with White Bean-Chili Spread


Ingredients:
4 portobello mushroom caps, stems and gills removed
1/4 cup bottled Italian salad dressing
1 19-oz can white kidney beans (cannellini), drained and rinsed
2 cloves garlic, quartered
3 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp salt
2 cups fresh baby spinach
1 tbsp bottled Italian salad dressing
4 8-inch garlic-herb, spinach, or plain flour tortillas
4 ounces goat cheese (chevre), crumbled, or 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese (4 ounces)


Directions:
1. Brush portobello mushrooms on both sides with the 1/4 cup dressing. Let stand for 15 minutes.


So, naturally this was the one time my grocery store didn't have full-size portobello caps, so I went ahead and bought them pre-sliced.

To remove the gills, just take a spoon and gently scrape them away. It's fun...and a little bit messy.



Nice and clean-scraped.



Mmm...marinating mushrooms. YUM.




Meanwhile, in a food processor combine beans, garlic, olive oil, chili powder, and salt. cover and process until nearly smooth; set aside.



White Bean-Chili Spread goodness. 




2. Toss spinach with the 1 tablespoon salad dressing; set aside.




3. Preheat broiler. Place mushrooms on the unheated rack of the broiler pan. Broil 4 inches from heat for 6 to 8 minutes, turning mushrooms over halfway through broiling. Slice mushrooms into strips.


Cooking them pre-sliced didn't seem to do too much harm, and I did still slice them up thinner to fit better in the wraps. Tasty!




4. Spread about one-third of the bean puree evenly over each flour tortilla. Top the bean puree layer with warm mushroom slices, spinach mixture, and cheese. Roll up each tortilla around fillings. Place wraps, seam side down, on plates.


* A little secret...we're carnivores, and this is a vegetarian recipe. I would have been fine with just the mushrooms and beans, but to keep Scott happy, I added some chopped up chicken I had leftover from roasting a chicken. I imagine you could add most any meat - sliced up steak would probably be good too.







All rolled up and ready to eat. 


Verdict:
I was initially worried about the quantity of chili powder involved in this. I'm usually a pretty big wimp when it comes to spicy food, but I decided to be brave and use the full amount. In the end, I'm glad I did!  It's not spicy at all, and just has a really rich, creamy flavor that blends well with the Italian dressing and mushrooms. And the best part, it's healthy too! The bean-chili spread seems like something that you could make other sandwiches with, or might even be good on tacos.


Oh, and Scott loved it too, so it's man-approved. I highly recommend this recipe for something light and healthy when you need a break from typically heavy winter foods.


Aren't you glad you found out about Portobellos wrapped in goodness??


Happy Thursday!
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment