Saturday, January 8, 2011

New Additions!

Since we're in the middle of destroying our apartment (otherwise known as rearranging with Megs - don't worry, there will be a before and after post coming soon), here's a little post I had been saving up for a snowy day. And oh wait! It's snowing!


Anyone who knows me knows that the way to my heart is through gifts. I realize this makes me sound shallow and materialistic, but unfortunately, it's true. But not just any gifts. It could be a horribly tacky trinket from the dollar store, and if it has a special meaning behind it, I will most likely keep it for the rest of my life. Expense is no factor whatsoever, as long as the intention behind it is meaningful.


This Christmas was an especially wonderful one, as far as the feeding of my love-language went. I wanted to share with you a few of the beautiful things I was blessed to receive, because as far as I'm concerned, they're too beautiful not to share with you.


First up is this woven basket from my mother-in-law. Having heard me raving about how much I loved the southern baskets featured in magazines from the markets in Charleston, South Carolina, she made a point to pick one up for me while on a road trip quite some time ago. I'm already envisioning the items that will be displayed in it. What a great, great thing - functional and pretty.



Next is this exquisite, one-of-a-kind bracelet. Once again, my sweet mother-in-law caught on that I fell in love with this artist's jewelry while we were working at a wine festival. I pretty much haven't taken it off since receiving it, and I'm pretty sure it will become a fixture on my wrist. Sorry other bracelets, this one is just so pretty!


 Last but not least is this piece of artwork from my parents and grandparents, which has quite a story. My grandfather (fondly known as Pop-pop) attended the Parson's School of Design in New York City when he was a young man. He and my grandma were newlyweds, living on in a tiny apartment in the city while he went through school. (Sound familiar? Scott and I are newlyweds, living in the city while he is in school...) This mixed media piece was something my Pop-pop completed in 1952 - almost 60 years ago. My mom and dad had it matted and framed for Scott and I for Christmas, and it's something we'll treasure forever.


Please forgive a bit of glare and reflection in the glass, and the obvious fact
that this photo overlaps my formatting a bit. I wanted it to be big
enough to see!
I hope I haven't come across as braggy or snooty - please know that I just wanted to share these beautiful things with you. Do you have any little items or pieces of art that have a special story? I'd love to hear about them!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment