Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Book Review - The Help



So, I didn't post last night because I was up till midnight with my nose in this book - I just had to finish it! When I first started reading, I had no clue that it was a New York Times Bestseller or that it was becoming such a trendy thing to read. In fact, I snitched it from my mom, who hadn't even had a chance to read it yet because it had a pretty cover, and yes, I tend to judge books by their covers. You can scold me later. And let me tell you - I can understand why it's so popular.


I would consider it to be a historical fiction (my favorite) - based on the lives in Jackson, Mississippi in the 1960's during the civil rights movement. And my favorite part - it is loosely based on the author's life. Did I mention this hugely popular book is her FIRST novel? The story is told from three different perspectives - two colored maids and a young white woman - all three putting their lives on the line to tell the story of what it's like to be a colored maid in a white woman's house....in Jackson, Mississippi. 


This novel will surprise you. It's not a horror story, but truthful and honest and brings such an interesting perspective to the table. As the back cover says, "A deeply moving novel filled with poignancy, humor, and hope, The Help is a timeless and universal story about the lines we abide by, and the ones we don't."


Conclusion: Two Megan-thumbs up. And maybe a couple fingers. And toes. A very enjoyable read that will challenge your thinking and keep you on the edge of your seat. And thanks mom for letting me borrow it - it will be shipped back to you ASAP so you can read it too. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment